Umbra builds next-generation space systems that observe the Earth in unprecedented fidelity. This position can be based in our Santa Barbara office or Remote with approximately 25% travel required.
Our mission: Deliver global omniscience.
To stay ahead of climate change, geopolitical risk, and other major crises and issues, we need a global understanding of what is changing, where, and how fast. Umbra provides easy access to the highest quality commercial satellite data available, which is an indispensable tool for the growing number of organizations monitoring the Earth. We empower our customers to create the solutions that inform, inspire, and address our planet’s most pressing needs. We’re helping to create a brand new industry that has never meaningfully existed before.
We are looking for a Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) to evolve our company-wide security posture and lead implementation of all security-related initiatives. The CISO will report to the CEO and collaborate with our Leadership Team and staff to implement and continuously improve security practices. The CISO will be empowered across the organization to secure our space systems, ground systems, network infrastructure, facilities, and intellectual property. Our ideal candidate brings deep technical competence, impeccable communication and leadership skills, high energy/motivation, a strong action orientation, and a track record for achieving security and business results.
- Contribute expert knowledge and guide Company efforts to continuously improve the Company’s security posture, both in space and on the ground
- Develop organizational information security strategies that optimize business risk management and compliance
- Draft and maintain information security policies, standards and procedures to support and scale business operations
- Lead the Company’s security programs in accordance with industry regulations and trends
- Cultivate a security awareness culture
- Maintain a current understanding of the threat landscape for aerospace and cloud services industries and translate that knowledge to identify and mitigate risk
- Maintain and test company-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plans
- Maintain access control policies for networked systems and regularly verify implementation
- Respond to security related incidents quickly and professionally; continuously implement lessons learned
- Support and champion hiring efforts to ensure appropriate resourcing for security initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, IT security, or another technically-focused subject area
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) or other recognized information security certification, or equivalent professional experience
- Comfortable working in a dynamic and fast-paced development environment
- Excellent communication skills to convey technical risks into business risks
- Experience in an aerospace or defense contractor environment, or similar environment with an emphasis on physical and IT security
- Experience implementing and maintaining NIST CSF, ISO 27001 and NIST SP 800-171 compliant organizational security policies
- Experience with the National Industrial Security Program and NISPOM
- Ten or more years of experience in a combination of risk management, information security and security engineering roles with at least five years in a senior leadership role
- Experience working in a current CISO/Head-of-Security role
- Flexible Vacation / Paid Sick Time / Family Leave
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life
- 401(k) Plan with 3% non-elective employer contribution
- Stock Options